Monday 24 November 2008

About Me

To start at the beginning, following an early interest in archaeology I began collecting antiquities as a teenager having found a dealer listed in Exchange and Mart of all places. My professional interest in the market began at University College London where I gained a BA in Ancient History and an MA in Egyptian Archaeology before deciding my interests lay in the ancient art market rather than academic archaeology. I spent three years working for a provincial museum on the cataloguing and exhibiton of their archaeological and ethnographic collections. However, I do not think hordes of schoolchildren gawping at mummies is a respectful use of the past. Following the MA at UCL I worked in the art trade for a few years before undertaking a professional MA in Arts Market Appraisal at Kingston University which I have just completed. This course is accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). I am now considering the possiblity of a PhD in the ancient art market. Having realised small antiquities are not a good investment, I reinvested my collections through a well known London auction house and am now on the look out for that one special ancient art treasure. having spent the last two years watching the antiquities market and studying the legal and ethical background and controversies, I hope to be able to offer practical advice to the novice collector and investor.